Having the ability to set up a web conference can increase your productivity while decreasing your travel costs. Because many web conference services allow you to create a meeting without a lot of planning, they are a great way to gather others when you only have a limited amount of time. They are also a great way of getting together with employees and other business partners that are in other countries. However, there are a few tips you should follow if you plan to host a successful web conference.
- Email. By using email to invite other participants to your web conference, they will have a copy and a reminder so they do not miss the meeting. Additionally, you will have the option to request an RSVP, so you know who will be joining your meeting. By sending out an email invitation you also have the opportunity to explain to your participants what you are hoping to accomplish during the meeting. Including an agenda is always good practice. Additionally, consider listing whom your participants should contact if they run into technical problems.
- Practice. Take the time to schedule a mock web conference before your live conference where you can practice your presentation before doing it live. This will give you a chance to become familiar with the materials you are presenting as well as the location of files you plan to show to your audience. Practicing will also give you more confidence when you are live in front of your participants.
- Knowledge. Before the web conference, learn as much as possible about the presentation application you are using. It is important to know how to mute a participant's line if need be. It is also important that you know how to record your web conference before you are live. Learn the location of the functions you plan to use so your meeting will run as smoothly as possible.
- Introduction. Plan to have a brief introduction during the beginning of the web conference. This is a good time to introduce yourself as well as others who will also be presenting during the meeting. This is also a good time to let your audience know how they can ask questions and what you expect out of them during the web conference.
- Engage. During a web conference, it is easy for your users to try to multitask and work on other projects. By encouraging audience participation every 10 minutes or so, you can be assured you are not losing anyone. You can accomplish this by creating user polls or having question and answer sessions at certain intervals during your meeting.
Using a web conference service is much easier and quicker than having to set up a meeting with several other people in person. The convenience factor is a definite plus. However, in order to make the most out of your web conference be sure to follow the tips above. These simple tips, such as keeping your audience engaged and providing an agenda, will allow you to have a successful web conference.