Everyone wants a portable laptop without sacrificing the functionality of a desktop. Luckily, manufacturers are recognizing this and making powerful laptop computers. Since there are literally hundreds of models of laptops out there, TopTenREVIEWS just released their comparison of the best laptop computers. They examined portability features like design, battery life and Bluetooth capabilities and functionality characteristics such as processor speeds, hard drive space and video cards.
"Finding the right laptop computer doesn't just mean portability," Said Lecia Monsen, Managing Editor of TopTenREVIEWS. "Using the right laptop means multitasking with no system lag and being able to complete all your multimedia tasks anytime, even on the road."
The Top 3:
1. HP Envy dv7: This laptop is a powerful computing device. This multimedia guru features a third generation, quad-core i7 processor, Beats Audio and 8GB of RAM. It has a 17.3-inch screen that is ready for high-definition content. Even with all this computing power, the Envy 17 still gets almost eight hours of battery life on one charge.
2. MacBook Pro: The MacBook Pro has all the features you would expect to see in a top laptop. Its unibody design allows for cooler, more efficient internal components. It features a crystal-clear Retina display, and at just over 4 pounds, this laptop won't seem like a burden to carry around.
3. Dell XPS 15z: This Dell comes equipped with a 1080p, Gorilla Glass display, and it's ready to hook up to any HDTV for a larger viewing experience. At its core is a third generation i5 processor and a GeForce graphics card that is great for gamers.
What Makes A Top-Notch Laptop?
These days, the best laptops are multimedia ready. They can handle anything from video editing to graphic design, and even gaming. The top models feature screen sizes 15 inches and bigger with powerful processors and loads of storage space. Below is the criteria TopTenREVIEWS used to evaluate a collection of laptops.
Performance: This is where it all comes together for a laptop. The best laptops have powerful, third generation processors. These upgraded CPUs allow for more cooling and use less energy. Depending on the model, consumers can choose between dual- and quad-core processors that will run up to speeds of 3.3GHz. Top laptops feature hard drive space up to 1TB and 8GB of RAM, which is perfect for any use.
Design: The most important aspects of a laptop's design are its screen size and resolution. A large screen is useful for multimedia work and entertainment, but it will make the laptop heavier. Some laptops can weigh anywhere from five to seven pounds. Many of the best laptops have resolution up to 1080p, while almost all are at least 720p. Either resolution makes it possible to hook the laptop up to an HDTV. Video running from these laptops to a HDTV will look less pixilated and clearer.
Feature Set: Laptops are coming with almost everything these days, from Bluetooth capability to HDMI ports. An HDMI port is great for anyone wanting to upgrade to a larger, high-definition display. These feature-laden laptops are also great for conference calls, as many feature webcams that shoot in 720p or 1080p and have built-in microphones for web conferences or long distance web chats to the family.
Warranty & Support: Even a new electronic can hit a few snags, so it's nice to know a manufacturer backs up its products with a solid warranty. It's important that a company website have a community forum for users to ask questions and a section to download drivers to keep the laptop's hardware up to date.
New-generation laptops are designed with the consumer's on-the-go lifestyle in mind, but they don't sacrifice the functionality found in a desktop PC. Laptops have integrated the newest processor technology as the heart of the system. High-definition screens display movies and media with rich colors and deep contrasts. The right laptop can make it easy to take your life on the road.
More product reviews can be found at TopTenREVIEWS.
At TopTenREVIEWS We Do the Research So You Don t Have To.
Popular in Computers
Connect with Us
Learning to Build A Gaming PC
Editor's Note: This article last updated September 15, 2015. There are plenty of ways to get your PC gaming fix, but nothing quite compares to...
Learn the Best Way to Convert VHS to DVD
Like many families, your events likely involve an appointed videographer following everyone around with a shoulder-mounted or hand-strapped camera....
Best Ways to Digitize Your Old Slides
From weddings to family vacations, your treasured memories remain locked in slide form, but you probably haven't used your projector in ages....
- 3D Printers
- Bluetooth Mouse Review
- Card Reader Review
- Cassette to MP3 Review
- Computer Speakers Review
- External DVD Burners
- Laptop Bags Review
- Laptop Coolers Review
- Slide to Digital Image Converter Review
- Sound Cards Review
- Touchscreen Monitors Review
- Trackpads Review
- TV Tuner Card Review
- USB Hub Review
- USB Microphones Review
- VHS to DVD Converters Review
- Webcam Review
- Wireless Adapter
- Wireless Computer Speakers Review
- Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Review
- Wireless Presenters Review