Security is the most important thing when completing financial transactions online. With the dishonest preying upon the honest, we should be extremely careful with our personal and financial information. However, most online banking services are legitimate services that can save you time and money. Consider the following tips to protect your information while taking advantage of the great benefits online financing has to offer.
- Make sure you are dealing with a legitimate banking organization. Read the about us section to familiarize yourself with the institution.
- Read the privacy policies to find out exactly who has access to your personal information.
- Look for the FDIC symbol. All legitimate banks are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.
- Keep your computer and access to it secure.
- Look for the secure padlock in the bottom right hand of your browser to make sure your information is encrypted.
- Don t send any account details or pin numbers via email.
- Reject any emails that ask you for your financial information especially account, PIN and Social Security numbers. Legitimate financial institutions will never ask you for that information via email or by phone.
- Beware of copycat websites. Thieves can be experts at copying names, URLs and web pages of legitimate institutions.
- Make sure you log out of your accounts each time you leave them, especially when you are using public computers.
- Cancel any credit cards that have been used fraudulently.
- Ignore the remember my password options on shopping and banking websites.
- Change your password regularly and consider using password management software.
- Keep your antivirus scanner up to date.
- Use a firewall.
Financial institutions do everything they can to make sure you are safeguarded from fraud and identity theft. The services they offer such as online bill pay can make your life simpler and following the above suggestions will help you insure your security.
At TopTenREVIEWS We Do the Research So You Don t Have To.
Witkop, Lorie Online Banking Tips. Retrieved July 13, 2006, from Love to Know Online Web site: http://online.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Online_Banking_Tips
Internet Banking tips. Retrieved July 13, 2006, from www.smh.com.au Web site: http://www.smh.com.au/business/money/tools/guides/banking/tips_internetbanking.html
(2006, June 14). Is Online Banking Safe?. Retrieved July 13, 2006, from informit.com Web site: http://www.informit.com/guides/content.asp?g=security&seqNum=182&rl=1