When it comes to storing data, cloud storage is quickly becoming the method of choice. Storing files remotely rather than locally boasts an array of advantages for both home and professional users. Not sure what cloud storage can do for you? Here are the top 10 reasons to give your external hard drive the boot in favor of online storage services.
- Cost – Backing up your data isn’t always cheap, especially when you factor in the cost of any equipment needed to do so – think external hard drives or backup tapes. Additionally, there is the cost of the time it takes to manually complete routine backups. Online storage services reduce much of the cost associated with traditional backup methods, providing ample storage space in the cloud for a low monthly fee.
- Invisibility – For all intents and purposes, cloud storage is invisible; with no physical presence, it doesn’t take up valuable space at home or in the office.
- Security – Storing confidential or sensitive information in the cloud is often more secure than storing it locally, especially for businesses. With online storage services, data is encrypted both during transmission and while at rest, ensuring no unauthorized users can access the files.
- Automation – The biggest issue most consumers and businesses have with backing up is follow through; it simply just doesn’t get done. Online storage services make the tedious process of backing up easy to accomplish through automation. You simply select what and when you want to back up, and the service does the rest.
- Accessibility – From tablets to smartphones, netbooks to desktops, we’re using more devices on a daily basis than ever before, and toggling files between each of these devices can be cumbersome and complex. Not so with online storage services. You can access your account from any internet connection, whether you're on a mobile browser or your work computer.
- Syncing –Syncing ensures your files are automatically updated across all of your devices. This way, the latest version of a file you saved on your desktop is available on your smartphone.
- Sharing – Whether you want to share a single photo or an entire folder with hundreds of documents, online storage services allow you to easily share files with just a few clicks.
- Collaboration – Online storage services are also ideal for collaboration purposes. They allow multiple people to edit and collaborate on a single file or document. You don’t have to worry about tracking the latest version or who has made what changes.
- Protection – Cloud storage serves as an added layer of data protection for your precious and irreplaceable files. Backups are kept in a secure location that is physically removed from the originals.
- Recovery – In the event of catastrophic data loss, you’ll have backups of all your original files so you can restore them with zero downtime.
No matter what your storage needs may be, cloud storage through an online backup service provides a myriad of advantages for storing both your home and professional files.