Although the idea of using a file compression program sounds daunting, especially with jargon like archive and compression ratio, it is actually quite easy, particularly if you are using a program like WinZip. WinZip is the industry leader in file compression specializing in the ZIP archive format and just about any other file compression software can read a ZIP file.
Here, we are going to take you through some of the basic functions using the #1 file compression software, WinZip. Here we ll show you how to compress, or zip a file, extract a zipped file, and walk you through the WinZip Wizard.
First, we ll start with how to compress a file and over the next few weeks, we ll explain extraction and the WinZip Wizard, so be sure to check back as we update our articles.
There are two ways to compress or zip your folders and files: one, directly from the WinZip application, which provides you with the most control; two, from accessing WinZip from Windows Explorer using the right-click feature on your mouse. We ll take you through both options.
Zipping from Classic Interface
1. Find the file you would like to compress. We ve created an example file that includes several common files and document types including Word, PDF, picture and music files. We even included an installation file with the extension .exe.
2. Open WinZip. It will seem like a strange blank screen. Don t worry; it s supposed to look like this.
3. Now that both WinZip and the folder/files you would like to zip are open, simply drag your folder into the blank portion of WinZip s screen and drop. You will be prompted to add your ZIP file to a folder somewhere on your computer.
4. Where it says add to archive, select "New" or "Open" to determine where your new ZIP file will go. In the Add Archive screen, you can also change the strength of your compression, split files and encrypt files.
- NEW: This is if you would like to create a new folder for your ZIP file. Select NEW, set your folder s path (usually somewhere in My Documents or on your desktop), thename your new ZIP file and then click ok.
- OPEN: This feature is for if you would just like to add your ZIP file to a previously zipped file.
5. After you ve set your paths and folder destination, click OK. Your files will be compressed to your designated folder.
6. Once all your files are compressed, they will display in the WinZip screen and show you exactly how much your file was compressed. Our example folder was compressed by 14%.
That s it. You have just finished zipping your first file using the classic interface.
Zipping from Windows Explorer
1. Like step 1 above, locate the folder or files you would like to compress.
2. Right-click on the file you would like to zip and click the function that say s WinZip.
3. Choose which action you would like to perform. For this example, we will choose Add to WinZip example files.zip . Here, WinZip will automatically create a new ZIP file for you just using the name of the folder or file you are compressing. From here, the WinZip Classic interface will launch and automatically start compressing your files.
4. When you file is done compressing, your new ZIP file automatically appears in the same folder your original files were taken from.
Using WinZip in conjunction with Windows Explorer and using right-click is usually the preferred method.
Extracting or unzipping a file is even easier than compressing. And like compressing you can use the WinZip classic interface or Windows Explorer right-click.
UnZipping from Classic Interface
1. Open folder and double click your zipped file. WinZip will have your ZIP file open in the screen. You can also drag and drop your zipped archive into the WinZip interface, or use the Open tool on WinZip s menu bar and search for your file through the traditional directory.
2. Once your ZIP file is open in WinZip, choose Extract from the menu bar.
3. In the directory box that appears choose where you would like all your unzipped files to go. Here we ve chosen a folder on our desktop called WinZip Example Extract
4. Immediately after your file extracts WinZip will open a Window with your extracted folder or files.
There. You ve officially extracted your first archive using WinZip s classic interface.
UnZipping from Windows Explorer
1. Locate and Open the folder containing your ZIP file.
2. Right-click on your ZIP file.
3. Choose the WinZip option and select how you would like to extract your archive.
4. We choose Extract to here which will extract your zipped file to the same folder the archive is already located. You can also choose to extract your ZIP to a different folder, or a previously used folder.
There. Your zipped file is now unzipped giving you full access to all of your previously compressed files.
The WinZip Wizard
The WinZip Wizard is the inexperienced user s best friend. The Wizard will walk you step-by-step through several of WinZip s basic functions most importantly zipping and unzipping files.
Here we ll walk you through how to use the WinZip Wizard.
Finding the Wizard
1. Launch WinZIP. In the upper right hand corner of the application there is a menu button that says Wizard. Click here and the Wizard will launch.
Follow the instruction
1. After you launch the Wizard you can set your default options. This is if you have specific folders you want all your extractions to compressions to default to. If you don t have special places for your ZIP files to go, select NEXT.
2. You ll be prompted to choose what you would like WinZip Wizard to do. There are four choices. Today we will choose to Create a new Zip file and Unzip or install from an existing Zip file.
Create a New ZIP using WinZip Wizard
1. Name your new ZIP file. The Wizard by default will send your zipped file to My Documents. Use the browse button if you would like your zip file to go into another folder.
2. Select the files or folders you would like to add.
3. Click the Zip Now button
4. When your file is finished zipping a screen will appear displaying your compression ratio. Click Finish. Your zipped files will be located in My Documents or the location you previously specified.
In four steps you have created a new ZIP archive with the WinZip Wizard
Extracting a ZIP archive using WinZip Wizard
1. Open the WinZip Wizard and click Next
2. Select Unzip or install from an existing Zip file and click Next
3. If you don t have any files in your Favorite Zip Folders you can have WinZip automatically search your hard drive or you can choose to find the file on your own using Windows Explorer. We chose to allow WinZip search our hard drive.
4. Chose the archive you would like to extract from the displayed list and click Next.
5. The unzipped files will default extract to your My Documents folder.
Note * If your archives contain questionable extensions WinZip will give you a warning. Never unzip files from unknown sources
6. Click Unzip Now
7. WinZip will automatically open the Window your files have been extracted to. Click Finish
This concludes our WinZip basics tutorial.
Popular in Software
Connect with Us
15 Most Awesomely Creative Aquariums
An aquarium adds color and interest to any home. Even a small goldfish bowl can be a conversation piece. Aside from the aesthetics of adding...
Fun and Interesting Facts About Fish
Lurking below the sparkly surface of a blue lake or the deepest ocean are nearly 28,000 species of fish that humans have discovered and identified,...
Identity Theft on the Rise Due to Internet Flaws
Constant internet access has become a staple in the average person's life, thanks to the interconnectivity of our smartphones, wearable smart...
Keeping Your Teens Protected From Predators Online
Recently, a judge sentenced Florida-based Lucas Michael Chansler, 31, to 105 years in prison after he pleaded guilty to nine counts of producing...
Backup & Recovery
- Data Backup Software Review
- Data Recovery Software Review
- Disk Recovery Software Review
- iPhone Data Recovery Software Review
- Mac Backup Software Review
- Mac Data Recovery Software
- Mac Hard Drive Recovery Review
- PC Backup Review
- Server Backup Software Review
- System Repair Software Review
- Windows Server Backup Review
- ACT/SAT Prep Software Review
- Advanced Careers in Medicine Review
- Computer Careers Review
- Creative Writing Software Review
- Education Careers Review
- Learn English Software Review
- Learn French Software Review
- Learn Japanese Software Review
- Learn Spanish Software Review
- Learn to Read Software Review
- Mac Typing Software Review
- Medical Careers Review
- Online Education Review
- Speed Reading Software Review
- Spelling Software Review
- Typing for Kids Software
- Typing Software Review
- Vocabulary Software Review
- Writing Enhancement Software Review
- Writing Software Review
- Astrology Software Review
- Calendar Software Review
- Cookbook & Recipe Software Review
- Creative Printing Software Review
- Deck Design Software Review
- Genealogy Software Review
- Greeting Card Software Review
- Guitar Lesson Software Review
- Home and Interior Design Software for Mac Review
- Home Design Software Review
- Home Inventory Software Review
- Interior Design Software Review
- Kitchen Design Software Review
- Label Making Software Review
- Landscaping Software Review
- Mac Genealogy Software Review
- Mac Greeting Card Software Review
- Mac Landscaping Software Review
- Mac Recipe Software Review
- Meal Planning Software Review
- Music Notation Software Review
- Nutrition Software Review
- Organizer Software Review
- Pattern Making Software Review
- Photo Album Software Review
- Photo Retouching Software Review
- Resume Writing Software Review
- To-Do List Software Review
- Travel & Map Software
- Vacation Rental Management Software Review
- Wedding Invitations Software Review
- Will Software Review
- 3D Animation Software Review
- App Maker Software Review
- Audio Converter Software Review
- Audio Editing Software Review
- Audio Production Software Review
- Beat Making Software Review
- Blu-ray Burning Software Review
- Blu-ray Player Software Review
- Blu-ray to Blu-ray Copy Software Review
- Blu-ray to DVD Converter Software Review
- Blu-ray to iPad Converter Software Review
- CAD Software Review
- CD Burning Software Review
- Desktop Publishing Software Review
- Digital Painting Software Review
- DJ Mixing Software Review
- Drawing Software Review
- DVD Authoring Software Review
- DVD Burning Software Review
- DVD Collection Software Review
- DVD Copy Software Review
- DVD Player Software Review
- DVD Ripper Software Review
- DVD to iPad Converter Software Review
- DVD to MP4 Converter Software Review
- eBooks Creators Review
- Facial Analyzer Review
- Graphic Design Software Review
- Jukebox Software Review
- Mac Audio Editing Software Review
- Mac CD Burning Software Review
- Mac Drawing Software Review
- Mac DVD Burning Software Review
- Mac DVD Copy Software Review
- Mac Photo Editing Software Review
- Mac Publishing Software Review
- Mac Video Converter Review
- MIDI Software Review
- MP3 Software
- MP4 to DVD Converter Review
- PACS Software Review
- Page Layout Software Review
- Photo Collage Software Review
- Photo Editing Software Review
- Photo Manager Software Review
- Photo Organizing Software Review
- Photo Recovery Software Review
- Photo Slideshow Software Review
- Professional Photo Editing Software Review
- Professional Video Editing Software Review
- Recording Studio Software Review
- VHS to DVD Software Review
- Video Capture Software Review
- Video Converter Software Review
- Video Downloader Software Review
- Video Editing Software Review
- Video Game Recorder Software Review
- Voice Recording Software Review
- Anti-Keylogger Software Review
- Bug Tracking Software Review
- Cell Phone Monitoring Software Review
- Cell Phone Parental Control Software Review
- Email Encryption Software Review
- Facebook Parental Controls Review
- Mobile Device Management Software Review
- Mobile Security Software Review
- Monitoring Software Review
- Parental Software Review
- Parental Time Control Software Review
- Password Management Software Review
- Personal Firewall Software Review
- Privacy Software Review
- Proxy Services Review
- Spouse Monitoring Software Review
- Web Application Firewall Review
- Anti-Malware Software Review
- Antispyware Software Review
- Best Antivirus Software for Windows 7
- Best Antivirus Software for Windows 8
- Best Antivirus Software for Windows Vista
- Best Antivirus Software for Windows XP
- Best Antivirus Software UK
- Computer Protection Software Review
- Encryption Software Review
- Endpoint Protection Software Review
- Internet Filter Software Review
- Internet Security Suites Software Review
- Mac Antivirus Software Review
- Mac Encryption Software Review
- Mac Internet Filter Software Review
- Mac Internet Security Software Review
- Premium Security Suites Review
- Small Business Antivirus Review
- Small Business Internet Security Suites Review
- Spam Filter Review
- Disk Defragmenter Software Review
- Disk Imaging Software Review
- Driver Update Software Review
- File Compression Software Review
- Network Management Software Review
- Partition Manager Software Review
- PC Migration Software Review
- PC System Utilities Software Review
- Registry Cleaners Software Review
- Registry Repair Software Review
- Remote PC Access Software Review
- Screen Capture Software Review
- Sync Software Review
- Uninstaller Software Review