The popularity of fitness trackers has exploded in recent years. Revenue for such devices should increase to 25 percent by the end of 2017, while revenue for heart rate monitors, bike computers and GPS devices will likely only increase by 10 percent. Highly popular among adults, these activity trackers are also great for children. Studies prove that children benefit immensely from these simple bands, and parents are starting to see the value more than ever.
How a Fitness Tracker Works
The simplicity behind fitness trackers makes them popular. You choose one based on what you want to measure and based on the style you like. It is difficult to say which is the best fitness tracker each one is unique. Jawbone Up s design is sleeker than most, and it measures the steps you take, your sleep patterns (including how long it takes you to fall asleep and the duration of your sleep) and the calories you burn. Fitbit Wireless measures the steps you take and the number of stairs you climb, which is great if you are trying to become more active, and it is a little cheaper than most trackers. The Nike FuelBand tracks the steps you take, the calories you burn, and your fuel points based on calories consumed. Other popular activity bands include Larklife, Scosche Rhythm Armband and BodyMedia FIT.
Designed for the wrist, some people have experimented with wearing their trackers on other places, such as the ankle. However, for the best results, you should wear it on your wrist throughout the day and night. You can even wear it in the shower. At the end of the day, check your data on a mobile app that corresponds with the particular tracker you purchased. This process is usually wireless, although you can also connect the tracker directly to your device if you prefer.
Benefits of Fitness Trackers for Children
Fitness trackers come with a number of significant benefits, especially for children who are still in the stages of development.
- Sets a foundation for a healthy lifestyle: Just by purchasing a fitness tracker for your child, he or she will start to think about exercise, diet and sleep patterns. By always wearing it on the wrist, the tracker reminds your child about the importance of being healthy.
- Gives awareness about the child s fitness: As a parent, you have access to your child s fitness data and can see how much he or she is walking, exercising, sleeping, etc. This awareness helps you think about ways to be healthier.
- Enables parents and child to set goals together: With your new awareness about fitness levels, you can sit down together and talk about it. You can set goals that you both want to achieve, such as a certain number of steps per day. This is also great bonding time as you work together toward tangible goals.
- Improves the child's health as he or she develops: The health benefits are invaluable. You will see results from working with your child to improve health, whether it is losing weight, or eating or sleeping better.
- Prevents obesity, diabetes and other diseases: One out of every three children is overweight or obese. Children are growing up with a number of health problems and are susceptible to diabetes and heart problems, but activity monitoring helps to reduce these issues.
Start your children on a healthy path in life by encouraging them to wear an activity tracker. Explain the benefits and allow them to choose the style they like best. This gets your child invested in the idea, and he or she will be more likely to follow through with wearing it.