An effective website for any business goes beyond impressive web design – it must also appear high in search results, load quickly on all devices, have intuitive navigation and do what it promises to, whether that's provide information or sell your products. The best web design companies do all of this and more.
We chose the top web design companies for small, medium and enterprise-level businesses that provide design, search engine optimization (SEO), marketing and support from the beginning of the process, all the way through the continued maintenance of the website for your business. They also employ the latest technologies so you aren't stuck with a one-page design that's sure to turn visitors away.
The web design companies featured here put your business first, whether that's through brand awareness, local marketing or eCommerce solutions. If you're just getting started and aren't ready to pay $2,000 to $10,000 for a high-quality website design, you should consider do-it-yourself web design software. You can use templates to create a landing page, and find an affordable web host to begin. When you're ready to trust the direction and design of a professional, you need to do research on what to ask a representative and figure out what your goals are for your business' website, you have a starting point with our articles on web design companies and the industry.
Best Web Design Company for SEO
It's easy to overlook the behind-the-scenes efforts of a web design company because the end product represents the company's creative efforts. As appealing as a design may be, it's the SEO, keywords and code behind the veneer that drive traffic to a website. Blue Fountain Media's team of web design experts understand the importance of Google search results.
If you're unfamiliar with the role of SEO, think of it in the way many businesses used to with the Yellow Pages – if you didn't advertise to be front and center in the phone book, you could name your company AAA Acme Plumbers and ensure your spot at the top of the listings. Proper SEO situates your business's website at the top of Google listings without having to resort to alphabetical strategy.
Additionally, Blue Fountain Media knows you're an expert in your field, so they listen to your ideas for your website and then offer their own ideas to help you create an effective strategy with measurable results, such as increased traffic, more leads and increased sales.
The best way to move visitors to your site is through good SEO, and Blue Fountain Media helps by doing the research for you and presenting the analysis of your site, your industry and applying that information and keywords to your newly designed website.
Blue Fountain Media
As a business owner, you must make large investments and trust that the website design services you choose create finished products that best represent your brand. Blue Fountain Media provides every feature you could possibly need. However, unless you own a medium- or enterprise-level business, you may struggle with the price for each additional service.Read more here
Web Design for Enterprise-Level Businesses
When your company outgrows its website, it's time to look for a web design company that caters to enterprise-level businesses. Big Drop's web design team knows that one size does not fit all, and your company's needs are different from that of a smaller business. In addition to eye-catching designs, Big Drop works with you to create a useful website with a responsive design, which means it scales the desktop website to fit on mobile phones and tablets.
After your site is designed and uploaded, you can maintain it yourself. Big Drop often uses WordPress as a content management system (CMS), which is easy to use. Your team can easily update and change content as needed to keep your website fresh to ensure visitors return to your site often.
As with the best web design companies, Big Drop uses SEO to drive traffic to your site and push your website high in search results, which is associated with big brands. This type of branding is especially important for larger companies that are looking to increase or maintain household-name status.
Based on its portfolio of previous client work and the typical minimum cost, Big Drop works on sites for medium- to enterprise-level businesses. Yet, even with the initial quote, this web design company is flexible to the needs of its clients. It has the skills and tools to design and market a great-looking news feed or blog for you.Read more here
Web Solutions for Mission-Driven Companies
If you run an enterprise-level company with several franchises and locations around the U.S., then you have different needs for your website than that of a company that sells handmade goods. It's true of mission-driven companies or educational institutions as well. From the inception of your website, Webvanta's team keeps your goals in mind. There isn't a single solution for everyone, so the team helps you identify your needs and the best tools for your website and company. For example, if you plan to maintain your website in-house, Webvanta uses WordPress, enabling you to update your website whenever you need.
Organizations that are mission-based need websites that are packed full of information, but laid out so users can easily navigate and locate the information they need. Webvanta has already designed dozens of websites that deliver that level of accessibility and usability. With the right website, you can easily promote fundraisers, update news and change images as needed.
Just by looking at Webvanta's portfolio of created and redesigned sites, it is easy to see the natural eye the company has for designing unique looks for each of its clients. This professional web design service even provides you with the training you need to maintain your site after its initial creation. It especially understands the needs of mission-based and education-based businesses, creating smartly designed sites to provide a cohesive look and easy-to-find information.Read more here
Best Company for Responsive Web Design
One of the keys to ensuring your website is as effective as possible is making sure it can be viewed by visitors on any device. This is called responsive web design, and Maxburst puts it high on the priority list when its team designs websites for businesses like yours. The bold, photo- or graphic-heavy designs appear on desktops, mobile phones and tablets similarly, but scaled so it fits appropriately and is easy to navigate from links at the top of the page or from a menu button.
In addition to responsive web design, Maxburst incorporates smart SEO to help place your website high in search results. Along with the keywords needed to rank your site as a viable place for information or products, depending on what your website's goal is, Maxburst provides content to help drive traffic to your site. Once the design is done and hosted, you get control of the website through WordPress' CMS, so you can change the content, such as photos, videos and news, whenever necessary.
Maxburst is a web design company that stands out for medical and fundraising sites, as well as web development features and a great lineup of custom services. It offers more than just design; it also helps you plan a marketing strategy with appropriate search engine optimization (SEO), social media campaigns, and responsive design so your website looks great on mobile devices.Read more here
Local Marketing Solution for Your Business
Websites aren't just for large companies that already have a well-known brand, and they're certainly not only effective for national businesses. If you own a local business, there are people in your community who are looking for a variety of local services, and may not know you exist if you're aren't online. Hibu is a web design company that offers lower-priced services that are a good solution for smaller businesses needing to broadcast their availability, location and services to a local audience. The team at Hibu works with you to determine how you want your site to look, who your audience is, and to apply the tools and methods to get them to your site.
In addition to using SEO to increase your company's ranking for particular searches, Hibu also sends your information to site listings, which places your information on other sites where locals may search for services (i.e., Superpages, Brownbook). You also get designed social media pages for Facebook and Twitter so you can connect with your customers and they can connect with you. If you choose a maintenance package, Hibu updates your information monthly so your website remains high in Google's and other search engine's rankings.
Web Design for Your Personal Brand
DBurns Design is a web design company that excels at identifying your needs to push your personal brand to your audience. User experience is a big deal if you're pushing your name and need brand recognition – you want your visitors to remember your name, return to your website and pass the word along. After consultations and plans, the team at DBurns creates a visually stunning website that authentically represents your brand. This is especially important if you're an entertainer or entrepreneur.
Beyond the design is marketing, and DBurns doesn't skimp here, either. In addition to applying appropriate SEO to get you ranked high in search engine results, DBurns can incorporate social media with your website to encourage communication from your visitors on blog posts, and sharing through sites like Facebook to increase your digital presence.
DBurns Design is a California-based web design company that stands out for its image-heavy websites. Based on its previous work, its expertise is in the arena of creating and redesigning entertainment sites. This service uses a combination of its own content management system (CMS) and third-party systems like WordPress.Read more here
Keep Maintenance in Mind
No matter the type of business you run, your website needs updating. Many of the web design companies listed in our guide let you maintain your own site by giving you access to their own CMS or to a commonly used CMS, like WordPress. This allows you to change content as needed to keep customers coming back to your website for new information, helpful articles, blogs and new videos.
Some web design companies do the work for you. You can pass along the information you need on your site and trust companies like Blue Fountain Media or Webvanta to task their copywriters with creating relevant content tailored specifically for your website.
Consider This Before You Choose a Web Design Company
Unlike choosing software for, say, task management or a point-of-sale system, you don't have to prepare anything in-house for a new website. So, don't worry about having hardware to support your new website. However, you want to prepare for a consultation with a web design company by answering a handful of questions about what you want to get out of your new website, and coming up with questions for your liaison.
- Check out sites they've designed. Go to the web design company's website and look at their site and sites they've created. Do you like them? Is there something missing? Trust your gut instinct about whether the web design company has an aesthetic you like and can see for your own business.
- Decide what your return on investment is. It's important to know what you want ahead of time so you can measure the success of having a new website. Come up with a list of improvements you'd like to see, such as increased traffic, more leads or sales, higher rankings on Google or a blog that's easy to keep updated.
- What are your website essentials? If you sell products, you need an eCommerce website with a shopping cart system, payment gateway, merchant account and secure sockets layer (SSL) encryption so you can safely receive credit card numbers from customers. Make a list of all the variables your products have, such as size, volume, type, SKU, and more. Do you want a live chat option?
Ask the Web Design Company
- Do you create the website from scratch? Many web design companies cut corners by using templates for website design. There's nothing particularly bad about this, but you may end up with a cookie-cutter look that doesn't inspire oohs and ahhs. If it's important to you to have a completely unique site design, make sure the company you choose understands this and works with you.
- How will you help my website make money? The web design business you go with should list several proven methods of revenue-generating strategies. For example, if you want to generate more leads, your consultant should suggest a design that puts your business's phone number front and center on your site.
- How often do you update SEO? You need to ensure your website lists high on search engines. And to do so, someone needs to update keywords and content as algorithms change. Find out whether this is on your shoulders, or if the company takes care of it for you – and if they do, how much is that going to cost you each month?
- What do you need from me? Typically, a web design company has access to stock photos, but it's your business and you may have images, articles and more that you want to incorporate in the website's design. Find out what you need to send to the web design company so your design isn't delayed.
- What if I don't like it? Most web design companies work with you every step of the way and get your approval on various design elements before it all comes together. There's no guarantee, though, that you'll like the result. Find out if you'll be charged for changes as they work toward a design you like.
- What's included in the price you're quoting me? It's important to get the full picture of what you're getting before you sign on the proverbial dotted line. You don't want to get a surprise bill for marketing or maintenance at the end of the month.
- Who takes care of maintenance? This comes down to what's more important to you: time or money. If you'd rather maintain the content on your site, make sure the web design company offers a CMS that your team can use to update articles, blogs and images. Otherwise, find out how much it's going to cost you to have the web design business to maintain your site and social media, if it's available.
- What about hosting? Find out whether you need to secure a domain name and web host or if the web design company takes care of that for you, and what the cost is.
- Who owns the website and content? This is especially important to know if you plan to migrate to another web design company. If you own the website once all is said and done, it will be of little consequence.
- How will I know if my website is successful? Ideally, you'll know your new site is successful based on increased business, but a web design company should also offer various analytics to show you in black and white how they've helped improve your numbers.
When you're ready to upgrade your current website or change your brand, there's a web design company out there that suits your business's needs. Be sure to do a bit of the legwork before a consultation so you can answer questions about what you want to achieve with your new website, whether it's increased sales, easier management, better design, longer stays by visitors to your site, or overall increased traffic.