Let's face it - most of us don't find accounting particularly exciting and would rather have someone else do it for us, right?
This is a fine stance for those who are completely disassociated with the business world, but as a small business owner, you and your business will benefit greatly from gaining knowledge on the subject of accounting.
Why not just leave it to the experts?
Well, for one thing, when first starting your business, you may be struggling financially and may not be able to afford too many "experts". Even if you can afford an accounting department, it is wise to understand accounting principles.
It is never wise to be ignorant of how any department in your company works.
With no knowledge of accounting, you have no way to monitor the effectiveness of your accounting department. You won't know if payments are prompt, taxes are being handled properly or records are accurate without at least a limited knowledge of accounting principles.
Don't wait for the tax return to find out how your company is doing.
Knowledge of accounting helps you understand financial records, such as the balance sheet and profit/loss statement, which reveal the worth of your company and whether it is profitable. This allows you to make decisions to correct or adjust any areas of financial concern in your business before you receive your annual tax return. If you wait until you receive your tax return, it may be too late to detect vital errors that could save your business.
Accounting helps you make wise decisions concerning the future of your company.
Accounting based decisions may include anything from expansion to correctly pricing the goods you manufacture. It is easy to focus on the cost of goods versus the sales of the product to estimate a profit; however, this can lead to financial disaster when the many liabilities of your company are taken into account. Accounting keeps track of loans, money owed, equipment depreciation, salaries and other items that must be included in expenses. It also analyzes trends to help you make adjustments in policy to increase profit and cash flow.
Accounting is important as a source of information for others.
Bankers use financial records to determine the risk involved in giving you a loan. From this information they will approve or deny your loan applications. They also use these statements to figure the amount of credit they will give your business. With knowledge of accounting principles, you can spot potential errors in your company's financial position ahead of time and discuss them with your banker in advance.
Accounting is vital to employee management.
You must use accounting skills when determining salaries, vacation policies, sick leave, paid time off, benefits and other aspects of employment.
Accounting can help you keep up on competitors' success.
Annual reports are not easy for the untrained eye to understand. It takes knowledge of accounting terms and principles to interpret your competitors' annual reports.
You can help detect fraud, waste and carelessness.
When you compare your bank statement with your company's checkbook, you can quickly locate any discrepancies. With your accounting skills, you can locate these differences and detect any avoidable errors in the future.
Cash flow - one of the most valuable of accounting benefits.
Cash flow is the rate at which money enters and exits your company. By referring to your financial statements frequently, you will know if your cash flow is positive or negative and you can make adjustments as needed. Negative cash flow, whether or not the business is profitable, is a major reason for small business failure.
So, how can you gain this knowledge?
One of the quickest ways to learn accounting skills is by enrolling in a few classes. Another way is to purchase accounting software. Software can be a useful tool to organize, compute and produce reports for your company. It can also ease the tedious process of assigning credits and debits by prompting you to enter the amount and the payee and then automatically recording the entry in the two appropriate accounts. Some software even includes a "primer" that teaches you basic accounting principles. It can ease the tedious work of number crunching and make accounting a little more enjoyable.
Lohr, David. MyOwnBusiness.org: Cash Flow and Accounting. (2004).
Malburg, Christopher R. The Language of Accounting. Adams. (2003).
OnlineWBC.gov: Bookkeeping and Accounting. SBA Online Women's Business Center. (2002).
Ward, Susan. About.com: Before You Buy Accounting Software for Your Small Business. (2004).
Popular in Business
Connect with Us
Top Business Plan Services
Business plans are an important tool in an entrepreneur's arsenal. A good plan can mean the difference between impressing investors and securing...
Is EMV the Same as PCI?
With recent major data breaches and ongoing discussions about credit card security, keeping the different security standards straight can be...
How Does EMV Affect Your Business?
As of October 2015, the new Europay, MasterCard and Visa (EMV) standards affect much more than your business's credit card processing strategy....
Mad Mimi vs Mailchimp
When it comes to email marketing services, no two are exactly alike. Find out whether Mad Mimi or MailChimp better meets your company’s email...
- App Creation for Small Businesses Review
- App Design Companies Review
- Blog Hosting Review
- Blog Services Review
- Content Management System Software Review
- DDoS Protection Services Review
- Dropship Services Review
- eCommerce Software Review
- Enterprise Chat Software Review
- Enterprise Content Management System Review
- Live Chat Support Software Review
- Mobile Website Builder Review
- Online File Sharing Services Review
- Shipping Companies Review
- Shopping Cart Software Review
- Web Content Management Review
- Web Design Companies Review
- Web Design Software Review
- Webinar Services Review
- Website Builder Review
- Website Creation Software Review
- Website Security and Performance Services Review
- Affiliate Marketing Services Review
- Direct Mailing Services Review
- Email Marketing Services Review
- Email Marketing Software Review
- List Broker Services Review
- Net Promoter Score Services Review
- Online Marketing Services Review
- Online Reputation Management Review
- PPC Management Review
- Promotional Product Stores Review
- Sales Lead Generation Services Review
- SEO Software Review
- SEO Tools Review
- Social Media Customer Service Review
- Social Media Marketing Services Review
- Text Message Marketing Review
- Trade Show Displays Review
- Office Supplies
- Payment Processing
- Access Control Systems Review
- Answering Services Review
- Business Card Printing Review
- Business Contract Services Review
- Business Intelligence Services Review
- Business ISP Providers Review
- Business Liability Insurance Review
- Business Online Backup Services Review
- Call Center Services Review
- Collections Agency Services Review
- Commercial Cleaning Services Review
- Commercial Mortgage Brokers Review
- Crowdfunding Sites Review
- Desktop as a Service Review
- DIY Business Plans Review
- Document Scanning Services Review
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR) Review
- Employee Retirement Plans Review
- Employment Screening Services Review
- Enterprise VPN Services Review
- Equipment Financing Review
- Equity Crowdfunding Review
- Factoring Companies Review
- GPS Fleet Tracking Services Review
- HR Outsourcing Services Review
- IT Magazines Review
- Mac Project Management Software Review
- Medical Billing Services Review
- Medical Billing Software Review
- Medical Practice Management Software Review
- Medical Transcription Services Review
- Merchant Cash Advance Review
- Online Business Plan Services Review
- Online Fax Services Review
- Online IT Training Services Review
- Online Project Management Review
- Online Property Management Review
- Online Tech Support Review
- Paper Shredding Services Review
- PEO Services Review
- Restoration Damage and Cleanup Services Review
- Small Business Content Filter Review
- Time and Attendance Systems Review
- Translation Services Review
- Virtual Assistants Review
- Barcode Label Software Review
- Business Plan Software Review
- Business-to-Business Software Review
- Check Writing Software Review
- CMMS Software Review
- Contact Management Software Review
- Convert PDF Software Review
- CRM for Mac Review
- CRM Software Review
- Dental Software Review
- Digital Asset Management Software Review
- Document Management Software Review
- Employee Monitoring Software Review
- Employee Scheduling Software Review
- Energy Management Software Review
- Enterprise Asset Management Software Review
- Fax Software Review
- Flowchart Software Review
- HCM Software Solutions Review
- HOA Management Software Review
- Internet Management Software Review
- Inventory Software Review
- Local Marketing Automation Review
- Maintenance Management Software Review
- OCR Software Review
- Office Software Review
- Online Dental Practice Management Software Review
- Sales Force Automation Software Review
- Scheduling Software Review
- Screenwriting Software Review
- Spreadsheet Software Review
- Strategic Sourcing Software Review
- Survey Software Review
- Task Management Software Review
- Time Card Software Review
- Time Tracking & Management Software Review
- Translation Software Review
- Voice Recognition Software Review