A good POS (point-of-sale) system can increase sales, provide the information you need to make financial decisions and help you provide first-class customer service. POS systems consist of hardware and software or a web-based program. There are some things to consider when deciding between a software-based or web-based POS program for your business. Both systems should run off a regular computer that is running an operating system like Windows or Mac OS X and the difference can be subtle at times.
Older systems were all software-based and were imperfect in their design. Modern software systems have come a long way now that they are written like software and less like a function-specific operating system. The older POS solutions were limited to basic sales functions and did not leave room for addition sale options, like placing an item on layaway. Those older systems can still be found, but are slowly being phased out because of the advantages of the modern solutions. Convenience and broader potential are the biggest differences and are what make sales transactions in our day such a smooth process.
These are the major advantages and disadvantage of both types of POS systems:
- The provider will back-up all of your important information on their server so you will not lose anything due to a computer crash or theft.
- You can access reports, inventory and other information from any computer with an internet connection.
- You do not have to purchase expensive POS software.
- Most services provide free updates so your POS program will never become outdated.
- Web-based POS programs are easy to upgrade. You can add features or work stations to fit your business as your business grows or during busy seasons.
- The provider can address technical problems instantly over the web by accessing your account and fixing problems remotely. Some even offer 24/7 support.
- Web-based POS providers charge a monthly fee.
- You have to have the internet connected to your retail workstation.
- Some providers require you to use their hardware, which can be expensive.
- If you lose your Internet connection, you will not be able to access the program.
- Some providers charge a startup fee.
- There are no monthly fees associated with the software.
- The software-based POS does not require an internet connection.
- You can use any hardware that is compatible with the software.
- Software-based programs are generally easy to set up and use.
- Some manufactures require you to purchase updates to keep your software current.
- You cannot upgrade the software. As your business grows, you will have to purchase new software or more licenses.
- You cannot access reports, inventory and other information from any computer with an internet connection.
- If you need technical support, you have to email or phone the manufacturer and relay the problem to them.
Popular in Business
Connect with Us
Peer-to-Peer Lenders: Lending Club Vs. Prosper
Peer to Peer (P2P) loans are increasing in popularity for both individuals and businesses because they offer a safe, viable alternative when...
Best Word Processing App for the iPad
If you want to write while you are on the move or don’t have a computer, an app downloaded from the iTunes Store can still offer a lot of the...
Best Word Processing App for Android
Many word processing apps for Android are overly basic, offering none of the features that most word processing software typically provides....
Top Business Plan Services
Business plans are an important tool in an entrepreneur's arsenal. A good plan can mean the difference between impressing investors and securing...
- Accounting & Bookkeeping Services Review
- Accounting Software Review
- Billing and Invoice Software Review
- Commercial Estimating Software Review
- Construction Estimating Software Review
- Expense Tracking Services Review
- Online Payroll Services Review
- Small Business Online Payroll Services Review
- Small Business Online Payroll Services Review
- App Creation for Small Businesses Review
- App Design Companies Review
- Blog Hosting Review
- Blog Platforms Review
- Content Management System Software Review
- DDoS Protection Services Review
- Dropship Services Review
- eCommerce Software Review
- Enterprise Chat Software Review
- Enterprise Content Management System Review
- Live Chat Support Software Review
- Mac Web Design Software Review
- Mobile Website Builder Review
- Online File Sharing Services Review
- Shipping Companies Review
- Shopping Cart Software Review
- Web Content Management Review
- Web Design Companies Review
- Web Design Software Review
- Webcasting Services Review
- Webinar Services Review
- Website Builder Review
- Website Creation Software Review
- Website Security and Performance Services Review
- Affiliate Marketing Services Review
- Direct Mailing Services Review
- Email Marketing Services Review
- Email Marketing Software Review
- List Broker Services Review
- Net Promoter Score Services Review
- Online Marketing Services Review
- Online Reputation Management Review
- PPC Management Review
- Promotional Product Stores Review
- Sales Lead Generation Services Review
- SEO Software Review
- SEO Tools Review
- Social Media Customer Service Review
- Social Media Marketing Services Review
- Text Message Marketing Review
- Trade Show Displays Review
- Office Supplies
- Accept Credit Cards Online Review
- Android Credit Card Readers
- Android POS Review
- Credit Card Processing Review
- iPad POS Systems Review
- iPad Restaurant POS Review
- Merchant Services Review
- Mobile Credit Card Processing Review
- Mobile Wallets Review
- Online POS Review
- P2P Payments Review
- Payment Gateway Services Review
- POS Hardware & Software Review
- POS Systems
- Restaurant POS Systems Review
- Retail POS Review
- Access Control Systems Review
- Answering Services Review
- Business Contract Services Review
- Business Intelligence Services Review
- Business ISP Providers Review
- Business Liability Insurance Review
- Business Online Backup Services Review
- Call Center Services Review
- Collections Agency Services Review
- Commercial Cleaning Services Review
- Commercial Mortgage Brokers Review
- Crowdfunding Sites Review
- Desktop as a Service Review
- DIY Business Plans Review
- Document Scanning Services Review
- Electronic Medical Records (EMR) Review
- Employee Retirement Plans Review
- Employment Screening Services Review
- Enterprise VPN Services Review
- Equipment Financing Review
- Equity Crowdfunding Review
- Factoring Companies Review
- GPS Fleet Tracking Services Review
- HR Outsourcing Services Review
- IT Magazines Review
- Mac Project Management Software Review
- Medical Billing Services Review
- Medical Billing Software Review
- Medical Practice Management Software Review
- Medical Transcription Services Review
- Merchant Cash Advance Review
- Online Business Plan Services Review
- Online Fax Services Review
- Online IT Training Services Review
- Online Project Management Review
- Online Property Management Review
- Online Tech Support Review
- Paper Shredding Services Review
- PEO Services Review
- Restoration Damage and Cleanup Services Review
- Small Business Content Filter Review
- Time and Attendance Systems Review
- Translation Services Review
- Virtual Assistants Review
- Barcode Label Software Review
- Business Plan Software Review
- Business-to-Business Software Review
- Check Writing Software Review
- CMMS Software Review
- Contact Management Software Review
- Convert PDF Software Review
- CRM for Mac Review
- CRM Software Review
- Dental Software Review
- Document Management Software Review
- Employee Monitoring Software Review
- Employee Scheduling Software Review
- Energy Management Software Review
- Enterprise Asset Management Software Review
- Fax Software Review
- Flowchart Software Review
- HCM Software Solutions Review
- HOA Management Software Review
- Internet Management Software Review
- Inventory Software Review
- Local Marketing Automation Review
- Mac Office Software
- Maintenance Management Software Review
- OCR Software Review
- Office Software Review
- Online Dental Practice Management Software Review
- Sales Force Automation Software Review
- Scheduling Software Review
- Screenwriting Software Review
- Spreadsheet Software Review
- Strategic Sourcing Software Review
- Survey Software Review
- Task Management Software Review
- Time Card Software Review
- Time Tracking & Management Software Review
- Translation Software Review
- Voice Recognition Software Review
- Word Processing Software Review