Having the opportunity to gather employees together from all parts of the world using a web conference call is essential in today's business world. It not only eliminates the need for additional travel time and costs, but also can be set up in a matter of minutes. But with this new, convenient meeting space there are a number of important items to keep in mind. Here are a few very important tips that any web conference participant will find useful. They may seem basic, but we think you'll agree – not everyone follows these ground rules.
Have you have ever been in a web conference where someone in the background has children running through their house, or where one person is doing something really distracting that ruins the meeting for everyone? The following list contains some rather important components of good web meeting etiquette so your telephone- or web-based meetings run efficiently.
1. Location is key. When participating in a web symposium, try to find a secluded office or room with a door. Hang a "do not disturb" sign on your door as well to let visitors know that you are busy, so they do not barge in on you and your web conference.
2. Choose the right phone. Try not to use a cell phone or cordless landline that broadcasts a lot of background noise. If you do have to use such a telephone, put your line on mute (except when you're speaking) so others will not hear the additional noise.
3. Avoid distractions. If you have a pile of papers that you need to sort or staple, avoid doing it during a web seminar. While it may be simple for you to multitask, other people on the web meeting will not appreciate having to try to listen past your rustling papers.
4. Introduce yourself. Because you will be talking to a group of people who may or may not know who you are, it is best for everyone to introduce himself or herself before they being presenting.
5. Breathe. While speaking during a web presentation it is important to pause frequently. Because you will not have the opportunity to take visual cues from everyone on the same web conference, this will allow participants to ask questions or provide their feedback.
6. Never use hold. It may be tempting for you to use the hold button on your telephone for even a brief moment if you feel a sneeze or a cough coming on. However, do not do this. By placing the call on hold chances are that the entire web conference will be hearing your hold music. This will disrupt the call even more than a sneeze. If you must take a pause from the web conference, use your mute button instead of hold.
Because many employers have offices around the world, using a web seminar to have a meeting is an excellent way to stay in touch with employees and offer important bits of information. However, it is a good idea to send your participants an agenda of the web presentation so they know what to expect. You might also think to include a reference such as this one of proper web conference etiquette. This will help your conference to not only run smoother but will also help your team members to get the most out of your web conference.