Top Ten Reviews has just released a comparison of the best air purifiers for use in homes. TTR reviewers looked at each unit s ability to lower the airborne particle count, the amount of air the purifier moves per hour and the coverage area each one handles. They also considered convenience and safety features.
Air purifiers are a great addition to any home, because breathing easy shouldn t require superhuman efforts, said Lecia Monsen, Managing Editor of Top Ten Reviews. Even if allergies or asthma aren t a part of you or your family s makeup, simple indoor pollutants can still irritate your airways.
The Top 3:
- Blueair 450E: TTR's Gold Award winning air purifier offers the most number of air changes per hour as well as the most air moved of the entire category. Combined with its clean air delivery rate, this makes the Blueair 450E the best choice for any home.
- RabbitAir BioGS: The Silver Award winner boasts the largest coverage area and lowest noise rating across the category. Other than having to use a remote to manage the purifier s features, the RabbitAir BioGS is user-friendly and an excellent option for improving air quality inside a home.
- Winix WAC5500: The Bronze Award winner boasts a large coverage area and is one of the most effective purifiers for cleaning dust and pollen out of indoor air.
What Makes a Top-Notch Air Purifier?
The best air purifiers clean the air effectively and unobtrusively. Many excellent models also account for convenience and cost savings with washable filters and timers. As Top Ten Reviews researched and tested the various models, they held them up to four main criteria.
Functionality: The most important question to ask about an air purifier is how well and how often it cleans the air. TTR's minimum functional requirements included a coverage area of 300 square feet, an average airflow rate of 150 cubic feet per minute, and filtering through the air at least four times an hour.
Safety: Safety is always of paramount importance when dealing with a home's air quality. TTR looked for industry-standard certifications from Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM), Energy Star verification and HEPA standards adherence. An additional item to look for is an ozone-free filter, even though many filters use this method to remove odors in a home. The ozone odor removal method introduces up to 10 times the recommended amount of ozone into a home s atmosphere. The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America along with AHAM and EPA heavily discourage using an ozone generator in homes.
Features: Additional features are like the icing on the cake. While they don t make the device any better at cleaning the air, they certainly contribute to the usability of the purifier. Washable filters, timers and remote controls all add an additional level of convenience to an air purifier.
Help & Support: While configuring and operating an air purifier isn t exactly rocket science, it s always reassuring to know that there is adequate support for any consumer product. A hefty warranty, online help, a phone line, an email address and a user manual are standard methods of help and support. The best air purifiers also feature an online chat option on their website to assist with any questions or concerns customers have.
Keeping a home clean and dust-free is the most effective method of minimizing breathing problems, and an air purifier is a great tool to have the home to ensure the comfort and good health of family members.
More product reviews can be found at Top Ten Reviews.
Popular in Health
Connect with Us
Assisted Living Community vs. Living at Home: A Cost Comparison
Considering whether or not you should put your elderly loved one into an assisted living community is a difficult decision, and not just because...
Senior Tax Credit Tips: Claiming Caregiver Tax Deductions
Taking care of an elderly parent can cost tens of thousands of dollars a year. When you consider food and basic amenities alone, caring for an...
10 Dangers of Seniors Living Alone
According to the Administration on Aging, about 20 percent of men and 36 percent of women over 65 live alone. In total, these percentages represent...
Troubling Facts About Social Isolation in Seniors
Social relationships are a critical part of the human experience. We need to interact with other people for our physical and mental well-being....
- Assisted Living Home Care Partners Review
- Electric Wheelchairs Review
- Glucometers Review
- Hearing Aids Review
- Heart Rate Monitor Watches Review
- Medical Alert Systems Review
- Medicare Part D Plans Review
- Mobility Scooters Review
- Nursing Care Services Review
- Power Scooter Review
- Rolling Walkers Review
- Stairlifts Review
- Voice Dialers Review
- Walk-In Tubs Review
- Air Purifier Review
- Baby Wraps Review
- Back Massagers Review
- Bathroom Scales Review
- Curling Irons
- Dehumidifiers Review
- Foot Massagers Review
- Handheld Massagers Review
- Handheld Showerheads Review
- Humidifier Review
- Latex Mattresses Review
- Light Therapy Lamps Review
- Lighted Mirrors Review
- Memory Foam Mattresses Review
- Mold Test Kits Review
- Pepper Spray Review
- Pillow Top Mattresses Review
- Rolling Luggage Review
- Solar Blankets Review
- Spring Mattresses Review
- Water Filter Systems Review